Esta mesa redonda ofrecerá espacio para un diálogo constructivo sobre los retos en materia de derechos humanos a la hora de abordar la situación mundial de las drogas. Más información, en inglés, está disponible abajo.
When? 5 February 2024 / 10 a.m.–12 p.m. (Geneva time)
Where? Room XX, Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland
Registration link: https://indico.un.org/event/1009514/
The intersessional panel discussion aims to provide space for a constructive and inclusive dialogue on human rights challenges in addressing and countering all aspects of the world drug problem, informed by the findings contained in the report “Human rights challenges in addressing and countering all aspects of the world drug problem” (A/HRC/54/53) prepared by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR).
The panel discussion aims to:
- enhance understanding of the specific human rights challenges in addressing and countering all aspects of the world drug problem
- raise the impact of human rights challenges on various community members
- highlight recent positive developments towards human rights-centred drug policies
- improve understanding of the key recommendations highlighted in the OHCHR report, including those related to the development of effective drug policies grounded in human rights.
Chair: President/Vice-President of the Human Rights Council (TBC)
- Volker Türk, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
- H.E. Philbert Johnson, Chair of the 67th session of the United Nations Commission on Narcotic Drugs (video message)
- Christine Stegling, Deputy Executive Director of the Policy, Advocacy and Knowledge Branch and Assistant Secretary General of The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS)
- Jean-Luc Lemahieu, Director of the Division for Policy Analysis and Public Affairs of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- Ann Fordham, Executive Director of The International Drug Policy Consortium (IDPC)
- Adeeba Kamarulzaman, Commissioner of the Global Commission on Drug Policy (GCDP)