On 23 March 2018, the Human Rights Council (HRC) adopted resolution 37/42. The resolution requests the Office of the High Commissioner to prepare a report, in consultation with States, the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) and other United Nations agencies, civil society and other relevant stakeholders, on the implementation of the joint commitment to effectively addressing and countering the world drug problem with regards to human rights, and to present it to the Human Rights Council at its thirty-ninth session, and also requests the Office of the High Commissioner to share the report with the Commision on Narcotic Drugs (CND), through the appropriate channels, as a contribution to their work in this field and in preparation for the sixty-second session of the Commission, which will include the 2019 Ministerial Segment.
The Office of the High Commissioner on Human Rights launched a call for submissions (Deadline: 18 May 2018) to facilitate civil society contributions. Below are some of the contributions from IDPC members and allies.
Submission by the Rights Reporter Foundation. Focus: Harm reduction in Hungary
- Submission by the International Drug Policy Consortium (IDPC). Focus: General
- Submission by the Washington Office on Latin America (WOLA), EQUIS: Justicia para las Mujeres, the International Drug Policy Consortium (IDPC) and Dejusticia. Focus: Gender
- Submission by Penal Reform International (PRI). Focus: Crime and justice system
- Submission by the Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network. Focus: Canada
- Submission by the Polish Drug Policy Network. Focus: Poland
- Submission by International Center for Ethnobotanical Education, Research and Service (ICEERS). Focus: Traditional uses
- Submission by Harm Reduction International. Focus: Harm reduction
- Submission by Harm Reduction International and the World Coalition Against the Death Penalty. Focus: Death penalty
- Submission by Fair Trials. Focus: Crime and justice system
- Submission by Instituto RIA. Focus: Mexico