When: Wednesday, 4 December 2019 - 12:15 - 14:30
Where: Palais des Nations, Room XXVII
In November 2018 the first ever UN common position on drugs was adopted with the aim to guide approaches across the United Nations system and step up efforts to ensure that no one is left behind. This event will showcase the work of the UN agencies in Geneva and Vienna on drugs, in particular since the adoption of the common position.
WHO, OHCHR, UNODC, UNAIDS and UNDP will present how they work individually and collectively on this important topic that touches not just on health but also on human rights, and which requires an inter-sectoral approach to address it. This briefing follows up on an event organised by the EU Delegation in Vienna on 16 October and will foreshadow a third mission briefing in New York in the coming months.
- Ambassador Walter Stevens, Head of the EU Delegation to the UN in Geneva
- Ambassador Socorro Flores Liera, Permanent Representative of Mexico to the UN in Geneva
- Jean-Luc Lemahieu Director, Division for Policy Analysis and Public Affairs, UNODC
- Angela Me, Chief, Trend Analysis and Research Branch, UNODC
- Zaved Mahmood, Human Rights and Drug Policy Advisor, OHCHR
- Annette Verster, Department HIV, hepatitis and STIS, WHO