The Washington Office on Latin America (WOLA) seeks a detailed-oriented Communications Assistant to provide administrative support for the Communications Director. S/he will have initiative, excellent problem-solving skills, the ability to communicate effectively in both English and Spanish, and a passion for new media. WOLA has a full-time staff of 17, seven interns, and six senior fellows.
- Assist in the management of WOLA’s online presence (website, Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms).
- Draft and copy-edit letters, press releases, opinion pieces, and publications.
- Update and manage our Salesforce constituent management database and press lists.
- Assist with video shooting and editing, live-streaming, audio recordings, and podcasts.
- Produce small design jobs (such as posters, ads, or logos).
- Work closely with Communications Director and WOLA staff to integrate new media into advocacy and fundraising strategies.
- Assist Communications Director in press outreach efforts.
- Other duties will be assigned depending on the Director’s needs and Assistant’s abilities.
- A demonstrated commitment to human rights, democracy, and social justice in Latin America.
- Extreme attention to detail and the ability to see the big picture while functioning in the details.
- Strong capability to work well under pressure and in a very fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor’s degree and English and Spanish fluency required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required, including copy-editing.
- Problem-solving skills, critical thinking, good intuition, and troubleshooting abilities are essential.
- Experience with desktop publishing, database management (preferably Salesforce), and website maintenance (preferably Drupal).
- Knowledge of Final Cut and/or other video editing software.
- Interest and experience in using social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr to help communicate WOLA’s messaging.
- Ability to think creatively and outside the box.
- Basic knowledge of HTML.
SALARY: $33,000, full health, dental, vision, and life insurance, three weeks annual vacation.
TIME COMMITMENT: Two-year commitment, subject to a favorable evaluation after the first three months.
APPLICATIONS DUE BY: Friday, November 9
START DATE: Immediately
TO APPLY: Please submit the following in one PDF document electronically to PAsearch@wola.org:
- Cover letter
- Two page English writing sample
- Example(s) of one of your multimedia projects, such as a video, info graphic, or an interactive graphic. Please send us your links in the body of your application email.
For more information, please visit www.wola.org
- No phone calls please-
WOLA encourages application by minority candidates and is an equal opportunity employer.
Keep up-to-date with drug policy developments by subscribing to the IDPC Monthly Alert.