The Institute for Criminal Policy Research at Birkbeck, University of London is holding a free international conference over two days, 8 and 9 November 2018, on the Bloomsbury campus.
Mapping inequalities in prisoner healthcare worldwide is funded by the Wellcome Trust/Birkbeck Institutional Strategic Support Fund. Speakers will discuss the latest research on:
- Harm reduction strategies to reduce exposure to infectious diseases
- Health-focused interventions along the whole ‘custody journey’ – from the first day in prison
- Creating healthy social climates in prisons
- The unmet health needs of older prisoners, women in custody, and people with mental health problems
- World prison population figures and levels of overcrowding
We will welcome speakers from Brazil, America, India, Thailand, Australia, the Netherlands, Hungary and the UK working across public and voluntary sectors to raise standards of prisoner health.
The conference will be open for registration through Eventbrite in early October and more details about the programme will be published. Places will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.