Citywide Drugs Crisis Campaign invites you to attend its 20th anniversary conference
The conference will be addressed by President of Ireland, Michael D. Higgins
This year 2015 marks the 20th anniversary of Citywide Drugs Crisis Campaign. It is also a year when drug policy reform issues such as decriminalisation are being put on the policy agenda in Ireland in advance of the development of the next National Drugs Strategy. As part of its 20th anniversary celebrations, Citywide is holding a major conference on the overall theme of Drug Policy Reform to look at the following questions:
- What have we learnt from 20 years experience of trying to tackle the drugs issue here in Ireland?
- How can we link our experience in Ireland to the international debate on moving from the ‘war on drugs’ to a public health and human rights approach?
- How can we bring together the learning and evidence from the Irish and the international experience to feed into the new Irish National Drugs Strategy?
Speakers will include:
- José Antonio Gutiérrez Danton, Academic, Researcher, Community activist, Colombia: International drugs policy and the “War on Drugs”- the impact on communities in Colombia.
- Ann Fordham, Executive Director, International Drug Policy Consortium: The UN General Assembly Special Session on Drugs & the shifting global drug policy landscape.
- John Collins, Co-ordinator, London School of Economics IDEAS International Drug Policy Project Linking current developments in Irish drugs policy to the international policy context.
- Anna Quigley, Co-ordinator, Citywide Drugs Crisis Campaign: 20 years experience of community involvement – key lessons for the next National Drugs Strategy.
- Minister of State Aodhán Ó Ríordáin TD:The way forward for Irish drugs policy -Key issues for the next National Drugs Strategy.
Click here to find out more.
Keep up-to-date with drug policy developments by subscribing to the IDPC Monthly Alert.
Thumbnail: Flickr CC StrudelMonkey