The Global Commission on Drug policy aims to bring to the international level an informed, science-based discussion about humane and effective ways to reduce the harm caused by drugs to people and society. It is composed of a number of high level policy officials, including among others former president of Brazil, Fernando Henrique Cardoso, former president of Colombia, Cesar Gaviria, former UN Secretary General, Kofi Annan, former EU High Representative for the Common Foreign and Security Policy, Javier Solana, and UNAIDS Executive Director, Michel Kazatchkine.
The Global Commission will present its conclusions to the UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon in New York, on 2 June. The event will be accompanied by a major international campaign led by Avaaz, which aims to gather 500,000 signatures for its new petition 'End the war on drugs!' by 2 June.
IDPC has been actively supportive of the work of the Global Commission since its inception.
Full list of commissioners
- Asma Jahangir - human rights activist, former UN Special Rapporteur on Arbitrary, Extrajudicial and Summary Executions, Pakistan
- Carlos Fuentes - writer and public intellectual, Mexico
- César Gaviria - former President of Colombia
- Ernesto Zedillo - former President of México
- Fernando Henrique Cardoso - former President of Brazil (chair)
- George Papandreou - Prime Minister of Greece
- George Shultz - former Secretary of State, United States (honorary chair)
- Javier Solana - former European Union High Representative for the Common Foreign and Security Policy, Spain
- John Whitehead - banker and civil servant, chair of the World Trade Center Memorial, United States
- Kofi Annan - former Secretary General of the United Nations, Ghana
- Louise Arbour - former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, president of the International Crisis Group, Canada
- Maria Cattaui - Member of the Board, Petroplus Holdings; former Secretary-General of the International Chamber of Commerce, Switzerland
- Marion Caspers-Merk - former State Secretary at the German Federal Ministry of Health, Germany
- Mario Vargas Llosa - writer and public intellectual, Peru
- Michel Kazatchkine - executive director of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, France
- Paul Volcker - former Chairman of the US Federal Reserve and of the Economic Recovery Board, US
- Richard Branson - entrepreneur, advocate for social causes, founder of the Virgin Group, cofounder of The Elders, United Kingdom
- Ruth Dreifuss - former President of Switzerland and Minister of Home Affairs
- Thorvald Stoltenberg - former Minister of Foreign Affairs and UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Norway
- Bernardo Sorj
- Ilona Szabó de Carvalho
- Miguel Darcy de Oliveira
Keep up-to-date with drug policy developments by subscribing to the IDPC Monthly Alert.