The International Conference on “Drugs and Policies in the Americas. From the ‘war on drugs’ to regulation of production, trade and use of psychotropes” will take place in Paris on April 11-13, 2018.
This conference aims to bring together a group of researchers who have done historical and ethnographic research on the modalities and effects of drug regulation and prohibition in the Americas as well as on the social violence related to the war on drugs and the actions taken in response.
We wish to organize our exchanges around three themes:
- Theme 1: The birth and the underlying stakes of the prohibitionist regimes
- Theme 2: Policies, imaginaires, and violence produced by prohibitionist systems
- Theme 3: New drug policies
Abstracts that problematize and discuss reflexively methodological and epistemological issues raised by empirical research on these themes, as well as the disciplinary approaches chosen, will be particularly appreciated.
Deadline for submitting abstracts: October 15, 2017.
Proposals for papers, can be submitted in French, in English, in Spanish or in Portuguese. They will include:
- last and first names, position, institutional affiliation, and e-mail contact of the author(s);
- a title;
- an abstract (3,000 characters at the most) which will contain: an outline of the paper, the subjects it covers, the methodologies used, a brief description of the historical and/or ethnographic research it will be based on. Please mention the main theme into which the paper falls;
- 3 to 5 keywords and/or 1 of the 3 themes.
Proposals will be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Attendance and participation will be free of charge but participants will take care of their travel expenses.