The first European Conference on Hepatitis C and Injecting Drug Use held in Berlin at the end of October was packed with people committed to improving access to Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Treatment and Opiate Substitution Treatment (OST). It was clear to see that delegates felt passionately about these two important issues. Concrete steps were made for strong advocacy and strategic collaboration. Things started with an excellent overview by Dr Jorg Goiz Berlin and was followed by three good national examples of hepatitis policies; one each from Scotland, France and Germany. Seven stakeholders for the seven key messages for a better hepatitis C policy and practice:
- Scale Up Harm Reduction Community Based Programmes.
- Access to HCV Testing, Treatment and Care Services
- Access to Affordable HCV Treatments
- Decriminalisation of People Who Use Drugs
- Meaningful Involvement of High Risk Communities
- Improved HCV and Health Literacy
- Effective Targeted HCV Strategies and Action Plans
Keep up-to-date with drug policy developments by subscribing to the IDPC Monthly Alert.