The deadline for submitting your nominations for the 2010 Red Ribbon Award is February 28, 2010. The award honours and celebrates outstanding community leadership and action that has helped curtail the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS. Twenty-five community-based organisations will be selected through a community-led process and invited to attend the XVIII International AIDS Conference (AIDS 2010) to be held in Vienna, Austria, July 18 ? 23, 2010 where they will have an opportunity to showcase their work. All 25 organisations will receive US$5,000 each. Five of these will receive special recognition and an additional US$15,000.
The Red Ribbon Award is a joint effort of the United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) family. This year the award will be given to community groups responding to AIDS in one or more of the following categories:
1. Ensure that that people living with HIV receive treatment.
2. Support HIV prevention, treatment, and care programmes for people who use drugs.
3. Remove punitive policies and laws, stigma, and discrimination that block effective AIDS responses and marginalise key populations (men who have sex with men, transgender people, sex workers, and prisoners).
4. Stop violence against women and girls and promote gender equality.
5. Enhance social support for those affected by HIV, including orphans and vulnerable children.
For more information please visit our website: www.redribbonaward.org. Please help us support the work of community organizations by letting your networks and colleagues know about the award!