IDPC regional co-ordination
IDPC has a regional structure for the organisation of NGO networking and advocacy with national governments:
- East and South East Asia
- South Asia
- South East Europe
- Middle East / North Africa
- Western Europe
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- Latin America
- North America
The regional groups will work broadly as follows:
- Developing an efficient communication network of NGOs, academics and policy makers with an interest in drug policy issues. Using this network to disseminate information from IDPC and other sources, and to maintain good communication of local and regional initiatives, events, etc.
- Developing close and constructive relationships with key policy makers in national governments, regional bodies, and the regional offices of UN agencies.
- Collating information on drug policy situations and initiatives across the region, and making it available to the rest of the IDPC global network.
- Identifying target countries in the region where our members consider that drug policy advocacy work by IDPC would be influential in promoting humane and effective policies. Arranging for IDPC meetings, speeches, seminars or study tours to make the best use of advocacy opportunities.
- Identifying experiences within the region that may be useful in promoting humane and effective policies in other parts of the world.
- Organising the NGO involvement from that region in global drug policy events such as the Commission on Narcotic Drugs.