This 2-hour webinar webinar was presented by Harm Reduction Coalition’s William Matthews, Physician Assistant, on March 29th, 2017. The webinar focuses on Fentanyl, a potent, synthetic opioid pain medication that has been associated with the recent surge in opioid related overdose deaths. Fentanyl has been found as a contaminant in the illicit drug supply and plays a significant role in the current wave of overdose deaths in NYC and around the United States. The webinar explains how to recognize a fentanyl related overdose and how to use a harm reduction response.
By the end of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Recall trends in fentanyl-related drug user deaths;
- Describe the pharmacology of fentanyl and its analogs;
- Discuss fentanyl from the perspective of drug users;
- Explain how to recognize and respond to a fentanyl related overdose; and
- Identify harm reduction practices that drug users can follow to protect themselves against overdose.
Keep up-to-date with drug policy developments by subscribing to the IDPC Monthly Alert.